Scoring: 2 points for a Definitely, 1 point for a Yes, and 0 points for a
1) Do you find that your pain level is related to the amount of tension/stress you are
experiencing or to how you are coping with your feelings?
noticed this, at times___
Would you describe yourself as in general, "very hard on yourself", "highly
responsible for others", or "very thorough, orderly, or perfectionistic"?
Yes, I've noticed I have some of these characteristics__
3)Have you suffered from other tension-related illnesses such as:
--hives, eczema, rashes brought on by tension
--spastic colon, irritable bowel, gastritis, reflux/heartburn
--tension or migraine headaches
--unexplained prostate trouble or pelvic pain
Definitely, two or more categories______
Yes, at least one______
4) Have you been told regarding the cause of your pain that "there's nothing that can
be done surgically", "there's nothing wrong", "it's a soft tissue problem", or "the cause is
5) Do you spend a great deal of time during the day thinking and worrying about your
pain, looking for an answer, obsessing about its cause?
6) Have you tried several different treatments or approaches for your pain and
received only temporary relief from each or no relief from any of them?
7) Do you find that massage helps your pain significantly OR that you are quite
sensitive to massage in several parts of our back or neck?
Total it up:
7-10 points--probable TMS
4-6 points--possible TMS
0-3 points--unlikely to be TMS